Trump Again Claims Taxpayers Aren't On The Hook For Ballroom—But Contractor Says Otherwise

Aug 22, 2026 10:33 PM - 4 hours ago 2

Topline

President Donald Trump connected Saturday hailed his ongoing White House ballroom project—after the Supreme Court temporarily allowed building to proceed connected Friday—as up of schedule, nether fund and wholly privately funded contempt an estimate from the project's contractor that claimed taxpayers are footing much than half of the $600 cardinal bill.

Construction continues astatine the White House connected Aug. 10, 2026.

Getty Images

Key Facts

Trump connected Friday said he was "grateful" for the Supreme Court's decision, which temporarily blocked a tribunal bid against construction, and connected Saturday greeting bragged astir the advancement connected the 90,000-square-foot White House addition.

He said "tremendous activity has been done" and promised the project, which he has many times said will costs $400 million, “will beryllium paid for pinch ZERO Dollars of Taxpayer Money,” adding “ Great American Patriots and Companies are footing the full bill,” he said.

The contractor overseeing the work, however, told the White House earlier this twelvemonth the building will costs $600 cardinal and much than half of it will travel from taxpayers, the Washington Post reported.

The Post's reporting claimed the White House knew "the activity was projected to trust heavy connected payer dollars from the infinitesimal it was announced," including much than a twelve already-approved payments to Clark Construction totaling tens of millions of dollars successful nationalist funds.

Key background

Trump successful July 2025 announced he would build a monolithic summation to the White House to service arsenic an arena abstraction tin of seating 650 people, reportedly complete pinch explosive shelters and awesome aesculapian facilities. The summation is importantly larger than the full existing White House, which was 55,000-square-feet astatine the clip of the announcement, earlier Trump had the East Wing torn down to make measurement for the project. The task has drawn wide disapproval and prompted the National Trust for Historic Preservation to writer the White House, alleging the Trump management doesn’t person the authority to build the ballroom without Congressional approval. Several orders person been issued successful the suit to extremity building while litigation is pending, but various appeals and little tribunal rulings person allowed it to continue. The Trust has based on allowing building to spell connected risks the Trump management being capable to “outrun judicial review” and scope a constituent wherever the ballroom building is excessively acold on to beryllium stopped, but the Trump management has based on stopping building could frighten nationalist information and puts the uncompleted building astatine consequence of collapse.

BIG NUMBER

65%. That's how much of the task has already been completed, the White House has said successful caller tribunal filings.

WHAT TO WATCH FOR

The Supreme Court’s Friday determination allows building connected the ballroom to proceed “pending further order” from the court. Chief Justice John Roberts did not springiness immoderate denotation arsenic to erstwhile a much imperishable determination could beryllium announced.

WHAT WE DON’T KNOW

Who is really paying for the ballroom. When it was first announced, Trump said it would costs $200 cardinal but that estimate has since—at least—doubled. Trump has said backstage donations from contributors for illustration Amazon, Apple, Meta, Coinbase and Lockheed Martin will beryllium routed done a nonprofit to screen the addition’s full cost. At different times, he’s said the Secret Service and the subject will lend information enhancements, without elaborating connected the value of those upgrades, per the Post. Other communications person suggested complete $100 cardinal will travel from taxpayers done the Secret Service and the White House Military Office.

further reference

ForbesSupreme Court Lets Trump’s Ballroom Construction Continue—For NowBy Alison DurkeeForbesTrump Administration Says It Doesn’t Matter If People Think White House Ballroom Is UglyBy Alison Durkee

ForbesCocktails, Bomb Shelters, Very Strong Stone: Trump Raves About Ballroom As Crews Race To Build ItBy Sara Dorn

More